Today we’d like to introduce you to Jordan Millhausen.
Hi Jordan, can you start by introducing yourself? We’d love to learn more about how you got to where you are today?
– Played sports my whole life pretty much every sport under the sun.
– Started working out seriously in college.
– B.S. Mechanical Engineering.
– Weighed 230lb Junior year. (not fat just worked out a lot and drank and ate whatever)
– Started to focus on getting slim.
– I also wanted to learn how to workout properly and was thinking about getting my PT cert because I really wanted to learn how to work out and eat properly.
– At this point, no real intention of training people.
– Got my NASM CPT cert Sept 2017.
– Right after college traveled in January for a month throughout Europe and Dubai right before I started my engineering job with Northrop Grumman on Feb 2019.
– I work for Northrop Grumman as a mechanical engineer building radars that go on reconnaissance planes like the global hawk and Hawkeye. NG did the Stealth bomber if you’re not familiar.
– In parallel, my cousin had just opened this awesome facility right outside of Baltimore. Wonderfly Arena. He asked me if I wanted to train people out of it.
– Started doing private training March 2019. Did that from 2019 to 2020 everyday before work 6-7am and after work 4-7pm.
– Had a small little space and used the weights and dumbbells that my dad got me when I was in high school.
– Started off I was terrible at everything. Had no idea how to run a business, I was just personable.
– Also lived with my mom for a yearish to save up, paid off all my loans and bought a house August 2020.
– So when Covid hit and everything was shut down, I was working entirely remotely for my day job. At this point, I am home working not doing much else, so I thought why don’t I try and actually grow this training business.
– I got up to 10 online clients average 3k/month from like May or June to September.
– This whole time the facility is shut down. I’m in 300 sq ft of space, don’t know if the facility is going to survive.
– At this point, I want to do more sport performance because its more fun and what I am used to.
Growth during COVID
– Things started picking up. I’m learning a lot about business in such a short time.
– So then I Hired my first trainer through indeed.
– This whole time, my mentor Corey Serio has been giving me guidance.
– Expanded from 300 to 600 sq ft of space.
– Started stacking some more equipment.
– Got a steal on a beautiful dumbbell set.
– My thought process was to keep overhead and costs low and get equipment that anyone can use. You don’t need a lot of equipment.
– November-ish, we are doing sports performance plus adult bootcamps. Did a bunch of research on this business model.
– Fast forward, we have five trainers.
– Rebranded adult bootcamps to Ignite410
– Have a very unique setup with open gym.
– Expanded to 1000 sq ft of space
– Currently have around 50-75 recurring members
– Become the go to spot for health, fitness, and sports training in the Baltimore area
Alright, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
No one obstacle that stands out (besides COVID). More so just a continuous non-stop grind with long days and nights. 5am – 8pm for over a year and a half and counting.
Great, so let’s talk business. Can you tell our readers more about what you do and what you think sets you apart from others?
Jb Performance is a premier functional training gym in the Baltimore area.
We work with two kinds of people: athletes and people looking to get in shape. Before I get into the differences between the two types of programs we offer (athletes & general population), ill first mention that no matter what package you go with, you get immediate access to all of our resources. We provide a workout database that has full programs and instructions (created by us for our members only), recipe books, meal plans, healthy smoothie guides, and 24/7 support.
For Athletes, what makes us different is how we approach our training. Like most sports performance programs, we provide science backed training methods that get results. We are meticulous in our trainings. Outside of that, there are key factors that separate us. (1) Our training staff first and foremost are some of the best and most specialized in area right now. We have trainers for every sport – lacrosse, basketball, football, soccer, you name it. All are either former collegiate athletes or professional players in their sport. (2) Our programming focuses on Jump training, no-one else in the area is doing this. We have found that the best way to get bigger faster, and stronger is a jump training program. I am not going to go into detail about this right now, but jump training is the single greatest way to become an elite athlete. (3) Our onboarding consultations. We sit down with each and every single person that signs up with us and we go over the exact blueprint to reach their goals. Nutrition, mindset, and training – all squared away from day 1. (4) support system and resources. We provide each and every athlete that comes in our door endless resources for nutrition, mindset, and training. This ties into the previous point. After the initial consultation, we offer 24/7 support so you can ask us any questions, any time of the day. When you have a safety net, you feel way more comfortable that you are on the right track.
For adults, we are doing something that no other gym is doing. Our training system is set up so that it’s impossible to not reach your goals – which is why we 100% guarantee results (well as long as your doing what you need to do on your own nutrition wise). There are so many layers of our program, so I will try to break it down. I like to start with the fact that we offer the BIG 3 when it comes to health and fitness. Workouts, nutrition guidance, and support. Most places do the workouts. Some places do the workouts + nutrition. Nowhere does any gym offer all 3. Now let me dive into each one of these. Our workout classes are next level. We provide fun, fast, and intense 45 minute classes of strength and HIIT classes. When you take a class, by the end you’ll be dead, but guess what, thats all you have to do three times a week (what we recommend at minimum). Thats its… three days a week. If you can commit to pushing yourself three days a week for 45 minutes a day, you’ll be one step closer to your goals. What if you can’t make it to a class or you’re stuck at home watching the kids? You are in luck because we also have LIVE virtual bootcamp classes. Yep, you heard that right – we offer both in person and live virtual bootcamps. No, not prerecorded classes, these are live virtual classes. Now let’s dive into the nutrition guidance. We are also different in this sense too. Our nutrition consults are not just about nutrition, we dive into EVERYTHING about your current lifestyle and see how we can make adjustments. Food, hydration, sleep, work… any habits you have. We coach you on how to make small little adjustments over time as to not get overwhelmed. Our motto is to focus on consistently working out first and then figure out the nutrition. As for the accountability. This is where we differ the most. No matter what time of day, you can text or call us. We are always ready to answer any questions you have. Even if you are at the grocery store and you don’t know what to buy. Give us a call and we’ll walk you through the store and tell you what to get.
Lastly, for both athletes and general population, we offer open gym times where you can workout, use the turf, play basketball, flip tires, anything. What’s different about our open gym program though is that, as I mentioned in the beginning, we give you workouts and provide 24/7 support. So nothing here is really done on your own, you always have guidance. IF you want to take the guessing game out of training and want to see actual results, then come to us.
One last note: our incredible facility makes this all possible. We operate out of a 13,000 sqt warehouse style facility that has been gutted and outfitted with modern industrial aesthetic, 4000 sq ft turf field, and so much more. The facility is called Wonderfly Arena.
Any big plans?
Future plans are to create go to spot for sports, health, and fitness training in the Baltimore area.
Furthermore, I want to expand outside of just training and running a gym. If you are familiar with Merritt athletic clubs that will give you the best idea of where I want to go. Merritt obviously has gyms, but they also have Merritt properties. They have real estate all over the state. That would be awesome.
- $300 for 10 athlete classes
- $150 for unlimited adult classes
- $700 for 10 private training sessions
- $50 for custom plans.
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: jbperform.com
- Instagram: instagram.com/j_b_performance
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jbperform
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3E06rZo4o1NhTsS2ySj4Dg
Ryan Fey Ace Abance