Today we’d like to introduce you to Ralph Hunter.
Hi Ralph, thanks for sharing your story with us. To start, maybe you can tell our readers some of your backstory.
Started DJ’ing in 1984. I grew up in a family of musicians and I was introduce to music of all kinds at a very early age. I was attracted to Hip Hop and how the DJ’s sampled rock, disco, and soul music to make a brand new sound and wanted to do the same.
I believe being influenced by so many different types of music lead to me developing a DJ style that I call “Old School Fusion” which is a mixture of 80’s Pop, 80’s/90’s Hip Hop, 60/70’s Soul Music, Disco topped off with today’s contemporary music. Little did I know, as I was DJ’ing at various house parties in and around my hometown of Media Pa. During this time, I was inspiring a future generation of DJ’s who credit me with inspiring them to become DJ’s themselves. In 1988, I put DJ’ing on the back burner, joined the Navy, and served my country while raising my kids.
Fast forward to 2013 and some of the DJ’s I inspired back in Media (DJ Flow, DJ Spontane, and DJ Smoove convinced me to dust off the turntables and get back into DJ’ing so I did. For a year, I DJ’d in my studio, learning how things had changed and getting accustomed to Music the digital age. In 2014 I started Then & Now Events and I’m proud to say we are still in operations today.
I also teach Krav Maga (self-defense) at Krav Maga Self Defense & Fitness in Columbia, Maryland. I take great pride in helping kids and adults become a better version of themselves, and helping them become stronger and safer.
Can you talk to us a bit about the challenges and lessons you’ve learned along the way. Looking back would you say it’s been easy or smooth in retrospect?
It has been a smooth road; we perform at just enough events to stay busy but allows us to spend time with our families and pursue other business interests, careers and passions. I am also in the process of bringing on another associate DJ (a recent college graduate) who will specialize in youth events. This move will help us stay relevant with the Tiktok generation.
The biggest challenge I face as a mobile DJ business owner is brand awareness. The mobile DJ field is very competitive. I mean everyone knows someone who is a DJ and more times than not, the consumer does not know what makes a DJ good. They know when they have experienced a bad DJ, but are challenged when it comes to differentiating a great DJ experience from the usual DJ experience. Therefore, part of my job is educating potential customers on what makes a DJ great and then show them how Then & Now Events can take their event to the next level.
Thanks – so what else should our readers know about Then & Now Events?
What makes us difference from other DJ companies is:
- · We really enjoy what we do! Our passion for playing and mixing music is obvious from the first record we play until the very last song of the event. Our enthusiasm is contagious and usually translates into super fun experience and packed dance floor.
- 2 – We are trustworthy and reliable! We will show up early, and we bring back-ups of just about every piece of equipment needed for your event.
- A stress free booking experience. The prices you see on our website are the prices you pay. We will not hassle or pressure you to purchase add-ons! Simply pick a Décor package submit your retainer. It is that simple.
Do you any memories from childhood that you can share with us?
My favorite childhood memory is my father taking me to BMX bike races. He worked two jobs for most of his life, and the fact he would find time out of his day to take me to the racetrack and the time we spend together is something I will never forget.
- Essentials Package starting at: $799.00
- Executive Package starting at: $1099.00
- Kitchen Sink Package starting at: $2500.00
- Selphie Station starting at: $399.00
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.ralphthedj.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dj_ralph_hunter_productions
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJRalphHunter/
- Other: https://www.mixcloud.com/ralph-hunter/